Sunday, 10 July 2011

Rain, rain and more rain

As you know, we went on a family camping holiday last week to South Devon and it rained practically every day, we had some sunshine on the Tuesday but had torrential rain on Wednesday, all day, the sun did come out on Thursday but not for long so Friday we caved in and came home, wasn't the best trip we've had and personally I doubt the tent will be out again this year.....(I hope!!!) I'm thinking a cottage next year would be nice...although I have to say the children still loved it, the rain doesn't seem to bother them.

Anyway, on a brighter note my Granny Squares are coming along nicely, I do struggling with the first round, just after I do the first CH3 I need to do 2TR's in the hole I've made with the join and once I've completed the round I'm left with a bit of bump of yarn, think Cuckoo might need a wee look for me as I'm not doing something right but it's still ok for now.

Today I had to let a friend down and I feel terribly guilty, basically for her birthday her husband bought her two tickets to see Dolly Parton in concert and she offered one of the tickets to me, I was over the moon as I love Dolly Parton BUT the ticket would cost me £100!!! my husband and I are just getting back on our feet with our finances and I'm actually managing to save money which I am putting towards refurnishing my living room and I just can't justify paying out £100 for a concert ticket but to be really honest, I would love that £100 to go towards my new curtains, letting her down wasn't easy and she was very upset, I feel dreadful about it and hope she can forgive me.

Today we went shopping for little lads first school uniform, he looked so sweet trying on different sizes of grey trousers and suitable black daps, really pulled on my heart strings, he's growing up too fast.

Time for a cuppa and more crochet, once I've done a bundle of squares I'll post a pic

xxxx

7 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see photos of your granny squares when you get a little stack of them. It's quite rewarding to see them build up isn't it! I wish I could help you out but I'm still a beginner myself so often have random little 'bumps' and lumps to sort out.

    What a shame that you're missing out on a Queen Dolly concert! I think you and your friend should work on her husband to treat you to it as well, you can't miss that!! £100 is expensive, isn't it though. I can't believe how much it is to go to gigs these days, I'd go to loads more if it was cheaper. Music bigwigs are ripping us off!!

    Nicki xx

    PS What the heck are black daps?! Never heard of that saying before! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. check you out with your CH3's! (note to self: must get jane to teach me the language so I sound like you)
    I'm sure your friend will forgive you (Dolly Parton...tee hee) If I lived closer I would do a Dolly medley - I do a mean Joleeeeeen. And my boobs are almost as big (although not nearly as pert)
    We have had to give up a camping holiday before now (you feel such a failure!) but sometimes its the only way. If the rain keeps up its impossible to get dry. We've always done a cottage in devon for that very reason! (toadhall do a good selection)
    Anyhoo - have limited blog surfing time so better get going...
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no... such a shame about the rain. That's so unlucky, but at least the kids still enjoyed themselves! Renting a cottage is a good idea, some of them aren't nearly as expensive as I thought they would be and whenever we've stayed in one, we've had a lovely time. So nice to have a lovely comfy bed to collapse in at the end of a busy day!

    Hopefully your friend will understand.. that really is such a lot of money. Hopefully she'll be able to find someone else to go that can afford it..

    Ashley xxx

    P.S - I went to stay in Bridport in Dorset. That where I grew up and my grandparents still live there, So a little more south than Gillingham.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes work on her husband to treat you (guilt trip him 'oh but its my birthday and I really want 'bee' to come, it won't be the same without her'haha) I would love to see fee doing a Dolly medley. And what are black daps (shoes?)
    Crochet is hard until you become more familiar with what stitches look like etc, then it is easy.
    x Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sorry ladies, I call them daps but I think they are probably called plimsolls!!! like trainers but with no laces just elastic, easier for them to pull on x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, this is a very odd thing - I've just read your comment on Country Rose's blog and seen that you live in Gillingham - I went to Gillingham School for sixth form and got married in the town hall in Shaftesbury! My mum still lives in Gillers, so we're down there all the time in the school hols. God, do you think we were raving it up in Legends at the same time in the early nineties? Happy days...
    Emily x
    PS - I've always called them daps too - mine were always from Woolworths and had a distinctive daps-only smell

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, we so could have been, Legends is quite trendy now you know...NOT!!!! the last time I went the carpets were very 'sticky' and that was that, I don't do sticky carpets...ha ha, next time you are due down give me a shout x x x

    ReplyDelete