Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Crochet nightmare / Portland Bill bliss

...nothing ever comes easy to me, meaning learning a new skill!!!!!

I have only been doing crochet for about a year and in that time have never felt very confident, I've made a Granny Blanket which I am SO SO SO disappointed with, I absolutely hate my colour choices and I'd had enough of it so decided to stitch the squares together, I struggled with this but stubbornly kept going and it's ended up being misshaped.

So, I don't want this to beat me, I CAN AND WILL get this but I know I need lots of practise, I would really love to crochet two round cushions but I'm struggling so much with just the FIRST round, I could scream, I'm just so frustrated!!!! I'm attempting attic24's round flat circle but I just can't do the first round without it being such a mess that I can't even start the second round.

I feel the wool, stylecraft DK (100% acrylic) stiff to use and weirdly squeaky!! and I was using needle size 4 but have struggled as the first round was tiny and difficult to make out, now trying 4.5.

Anyway, that's my day so far....it's 11am and I feel I've wasted time when I know there are other things that need my attention, like my shower needs cleaning and hoovering the children's bedrooms.  Unfortunately I can't leave the tiding and cleaning, it would irritate me more so I'll get that done and then back to practising crochet rounds again.

Here's a peak at my shoddy attempt of a Granny Blanket, think I'll let little lady use it for her adored baby doll.

See...misshaped mess


Back of Blanket (see how I've stitched it together)

Anyway on a much happier note, we had a family day out to Portland Bill (approx 5miles from Weymouth), this place is so special for me, it holds some gorgeous memories of family days out when I was a child, holding my dads hand as I climbed over the rocks, just a lovely place.

This is Chesil Beach, to the right (hard to see) is where the Olympic
Water Events are taking place




Random brussel sprouts 



Cheeky monkeys

It was so blumin cold but just lovely, we took our cooking stove and back in the big red bus snuggled up with Hearty Squash, Bean and Cabbage soup....just what we needed and the children loved it too.

Luv Bee xxxxxxxxxx

7 comments:

  1. I think your blanket just needs a bit of blocking. Your squares were so perfect so maybe you stitched it up a little tight. Don't fret, it'll be ok. We will get it sorted. As for the round circle, a bigger hook sounds like the right thing. Style craft can be squeaky, you're not the first to say it.

    You do learn you know. You don't give yourself credit. You crochet squares are perfect. The tension is perfect and the stitch placement. Honestly they are spot on. Just look at your cooking too. When we lived together your 'cooking' was a jar of pasta bake shoved in the oven. You always cook from scratch now and you cook amazing dishes. Stop putting yourself down you bugger!!

    Flat circles can be tricky to start with. Not that I know s I've never even tried one but Heather from Little Tin Bird was having trouble with Attic 24's circle pattern because she'd read where to put the stitches wrongly. Just take your time Angel, we can't all be making magic from yarn like your Mum!!! If only!

    Oh and before I go, I really like your colour choices. I was there when you picked them out and I think you got them spot on. Ok so they don't really compliment your new colour scheme in your lounge but as a blanket to snuggle with in the back of the bus at Portland BIll, well, I can;t think of anything more perfect.

    Chin up duck. Speak later.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blanket looks lush darling. It is brilliant and I think you should be very proud of your first project. You have made far more progress than me. Like you, I am too busy with everyone else to spend the time on it, and I need the time!!!!!!!!
    Yes I agree with Kooky Cuckoo, the colours are gorgeous. Be proud, pat yourself on the back love.
    x xx x x x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blanket. I think the colours are beautiful, and you have done an amazing job with it.
    It's amazing and you did a great job with it!!
    Also your day out looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your blanket is fab! The colours are lovely! It maybe just needs blocking. I also like the way you've stitched the squares together. You should totally be pleased with that, it's your first attempt! You've been able to make an actual something that will keep you warm!

    I really recommend doing one simple giant granny square, you're great at the granny squares and there's not so much faffing around with attaching squares to each other. Give it a go. Maybe try a different yarn - I can see why you think the Stylecraft is squeaky. If you choose a yarn you love then you might enjoy making a blanket more? x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blanket is fab, and the colours are pretty. Like the others say, my only thought is it doesn't look as if you've blocked it, which will make a huge difference. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful, Bee - you should be really proud of yourself. You could always try giving it a bit of a press under a damp tea towel if you think it's a bit wibbly, that might sort it out.
    Ah, Portland Bill - beaut. We were in Lyme Regis over Christmas - I almost refused to leave.
    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete